Who is auDA
auDA is the administrator for com.au, net.au, org.au, asn.au, id.au and other CGDNs. They do not provide registration services like register or renew domain names. They provide service with domain registrars to register or renew domain names.
Who can register .com.au
According to Australian Domain Name Policy, to be eligible to register .com.au and .net.au domain names, registrants must be one of the following:
- An Australian registered company
- Trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory
- An Australian partnership or sole trader
- A foreign company licensed to trade in Australia
- Be an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark
- An applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark
- An association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory
- An Australian commercial statutory body
to be eligible to register .id.au, registrants must be an Australian citizen or an Australian resident.
Should I have .COM.AU or .COM for my business
If your website is to serve Australian customers or your business is an Australian based, you should have .COM.AU domain. Google known .COM.AU domain names are Generic top-level domains (gTLDs) and it is a sign that the website is relevant to Australians. If your website has a global visitors or your business is an international based, you should pick a .COM domain name.